Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Experience is something you do not get until just after you need it...

I miss regular doors, doors that fill the frame completely and do not stop two inches short of the floor. I miss locks on doorhandles, and I miss uninterrupted bathroom time. I miss running water to wash dishes and not having to worry whether or not the tank is full, and for that matter I miss dishwashers. I miss taking baths most of all. A long, hot soaking tub full of water. I ran out of hot water during my shower last night, so my conditioner stayed in my hair and the shaving process I had just completed was rendered null and void. I miss backyards, where we could let the dog run free and not have to tether him to a lead which he immediately wraps around the water pump behind the RV forcing us to come out in the cold to undo him. He really isn't that bright. These are just a few things I have taken stock of that I look forward to reimplementing into my life one day.
Snow is being predicted once again this week. Of course it is, the previous snow we had just melted yesterday. It's an "odd" season is what everyone tells us, that they have never had this much snow here before. Of course not, we weren't here then.
We are finally settling in and learning all the quirks to living in the RV. On Friday (two months into this adventure mind you) we received from the RV dealer we purchased from the "how to" video for setting up and using the travel trailer. It showed us how to do everything we have already learned to do via trial and error. Better late than never?
I thought back to that day at the end of November as we pulled onto our street from our Thanksgiving trip. I saw the mammoth trailer taking up our entire driveway and remembered the panic that welled up inside of me. That "what the heck are we doing?" thought raced through my mind. We had a trailer, and no truck to pull it with! What craziness was I thinking?! I mean, it all has worked out so far- but buying a truck has become job one! I think I've found a calm about this whole new life. We are getting used to our surroundings, finding our limitations, and we are quite comfortable in our new home. But I will never forget that panic of that first day and the sledgehammer realization that we were really moving into a travel trailer.
As I write this the three year old is being stubborn- he is putting on his jammies which happen to be inside out and he refuses to let anyone help him. We just removed coins and plastic toys out of the vent in the floor- just one more little thing that one would never think of in a regular home. If I could get the four year old to learn to pee IN the toilet and not around it (not to mention put the lid down and actually flush), I would consider potty training a success. But he is a boy, so that may be an uphill battle. And I believe that is all for now....stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment